Saturday 4 September 2010

Prestbury Park 4th September 2010

I can honestly say I didn't expect much from competing today. My poor little Callum started a temperature yesterday and didn't sleep very well at all. Despite Mike being a wonderful husband and getting up to care for him, it was still a restless night as his cries cut straight through his mother's sleep. When the morning came I wondered aloud what God's plan for me was - I'm feeling under such pressure in all areas of my life, and sleep deprivation doesn't help! Mike convinced me that he'd manage, and sort out a doctor's appointment etc. So feeling very dubious about it all, I set off for the show which is up near Cirencester.

My sat-nav has been playing up for a little while, but really earnt its self retirement today by taking me to the middle of the Gloucestershire countryside, but no-where near the venue. At this point I'm thinking that this might be a sign to head home! However my wonderful instructor Martin Tait is also very good with directions, and he re-directed me to the venue. So we arrive a little late, a little flustered, but there! Missed walking my first course which left me a little wayward in the middle of it, but Ella worked well and was really listening to the somewhat garbled and late directions she was receiving ;-)

Fortunately that was just a Helter Skelter, so I treated that as a warm up and soon headed to the G6 Agility ring to walk that course. Much more straight forward than most of the ones we've seen this season, and bar an obstacle discrimination of tunnel/A-frame, I was feeling pretty confident about getting round.

On my way to get her for the run, I got thinking about what God's plan for me might include. My sons immediately sprung to mind, and I started to think about what they might be learning from watching their mother compete like I do. I realised that I would want them to learn that putting themselves out there to compete is an exciting and worthwhile thing to do. I would like them to know that even if they don't get it right first time, every mistake they make is an opportunity for them to develop and get better. Most of all, I hope they would know that all I ever expect from them is their best, and that their best will always be just fine by me. That made me remember that my parents and those that love me, only want the same for me.

So I entered the ring in a good frame of mind. You'll see from the video clip that Ella has been allowed to get very barky as we enter a ring, something which I'm trying not to let bother me. I'm not mad keen on barking, I find it very distracting and annoying! I console myself with the fact that when she's asked for her startline position she immediately quits barking, and the work switch clicks into place.
Ella demonstrating her cool poise on the startline :)

As I look back at her I'm always blown away by her focus and self-control, and I thank the heavens for such an amazing agility partner. Not everyone gets an Ella in their lifetime, and I still question how she ever made it into mine. The answer to that is in the series of events after Kai's accident and she's another important thing I have to thank him for, he's another truly amazing dog. I don't know how anyone could put together a case for their dog of a lifetime - each that has come into my life could argue a strong case for being the special one! Diva is already shaping my life, pushing me to become a better trainer, to explore new methods to better help her learn, and just generally being a bit of a lovebug :)

Today had some really good bits, and some mistakes to allow for more improvement :) My favourite has to be winning the G6 Agility class, and having Sue there to celebrate with. Must convince her to enter some more agility shows next year! Anyway, I'll leave you with some video clips from the day. I'm off for a glass of champagne to celebrate... ;)


Today I'm grateful for Ella :)

No comments:

Post a Comment