Thursday 23 July 2009

Weave re-training progress report

Now I've been a bit slack in getting the clips onto the computer to share, with the result that I'm not sure of the order we did them in any more! However they have been useful to me as I've been looking at them back and working out our success percentage after each session. Just quietly, I'm very, very pleased with how it's going. Last night at Severnside club training I upped the ante again and put out two sets of six poles. Accurate and fast, just how I want her - so excited! The only distraction that I've been able to find to pull her out of the poles is throwing her toy early, but even then after a couple of tries she realised she had to stay in until she'd finished to earn her reward. I can swing her toy around in circles & squeak a squeaky toy right by her, but she just ignores me until she's done. Seriously impressed.

We're not at 100% yet though, the really tough entries (between 10-12 & 2-12) are still catching her out, but I'm using the first set of 2x2 poles to help her. By angling them just slightly to make the entry more inviting it really helped her to get the idea. Now I just need to work on me and we're ready for competition! I say work on me, because I'm still quite nervous about her actually doing it in the ring. Watching videos back from last weekend, I realise that I turn into a frightened rabbit when we reach the weaves in a course - not at all like the loud and enthusiastic training partner she's had to put up with all week! So the goal this weekend is to treat the weaves in the course just like I would at training. Nice early command, driving towards them, and cheering when she's doing them. We may make mistakes, but without making any mistakes it's difficult for her to distinguish exactly what is correct. And I know longer think to myself, 'we'll get there' as was a favourite saying of everyone's to me. I now believe that we're there :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment