Saturday 19 September 2009

Bromsgrove show

A beautiful day weather wise, but lonely travelling up to Holt Heath near Worcester without my usual competition buddies Lel & Hattie. Think Ella felt it too, we were a little out of sorts all day. After last weekend's excitement today was always going to be about proofing our contacts, but it was still a little disappointing that she needs reminding. In our first class of the day she self-released the A-frame straight off, and then again after I'd put her back! She hadn't had breakfast at that point, that's my only excuse for her! The see-saw amd dog walk that followed were better, but still not perfect.

Our jumping course was nice, but have a niggling worry that she self-released fractionally early from her wait on the startline. I think I might just a bit paranoid at the moment! What I definitely wasn't paranoid about was watching her race off without completing the last two weave poles in a set of 12 - not impressed! However used it as a training opportunity and set her up for a tough entry. She failed to cut back in for the 2nd pole the first time, but got it the 2nd and completed the whole lot properly. By this point though we were a little out of sorts, and when she banged herself coming out of the tunnel I gave up. Not terribly proud of myself, but was frustrated as the jumping was our only real chance of an exciting placing.

The last course of the day was the Burns Adams Novice Derby, which was a power and speed type course. Firstly they had to complete the dog walk, a spread jump, long jump, A-frame and see-saw (un-timed) and then if un-faulted, continue over a jumping course. She stopped on her dog-walk, but crashed the spread that came after it. Training note there! Plus I think she knocked the last plank on the long jump, something I knew could do with a little work anyway. The a-frame she self-released on and was firmly replaced (getting frustrated by this point!!) but then did her see-saw properly. The lesson still needs reminding, but it isn't as far away as I am apt to worry.

Today I'm grateful for the opportunity to work with such an intelligent agility partner, who is constantly expanding my knowledge of dog training and pushing me to be the best that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment