Sunday 11 July 2010

Diamond Dog show, 10th-11th July 2010

Another hot weekend - can't get over the beautiful weather we've been having, although I'd be happier if the temperature came down a bit. Although I'm burn free which is an achievement in itself!

This was the first show Diamond Dog Agility club had run, and it seemed to go relatively smoothly. Unfortunately the ground looked like it had recently been cut for hay or silage, and what with the recent heatwave, it was pretty prickly and spiky underfoot. Didn't suit all dogs, but didn't much phase Ella much except for a couple of slips where she couldn't get purchase on the ground after a turn. Fortunately we have Smart Clinic tomorrow, so I will just have her checked in case she's done anything to make her sore.

A weekend of good and bad bits - Saturday was always going to be a challenge as Mike was away for a stag do and I had the boys at the show on my own. They were lovely and not much trouble at all, but very difficult to switch from Mummy to agility handler. As a result I had Martin Tait run her in one of her agility rounds - she works quite well for him, but unfortunately picked up an E as he sent her over the wrong course. Our last run of the day was a nice straightforward agility round so I took her back for it - great run up to the last but one obstacle. You've guessed it - 12 weave poles! I have been running at them as I believe I do in training, but she missed her entrance so 5 faults on an otherwise lovely run.

Today has been better - started well with a tricky jumping course, but just sent her the wrong way a few jumps from the end. Great work though, some really tight turns. Her agility was going nicely too, but picked up 5 for missing weave entrance, and then as she'd done that I put her back over the see-saw which she came off. Actually in retrospect I'm not sure she didn't just slide off, but no matter, doesn't hurt to be sure! Our final jumping class started speedily, but sadly ended so too - off course for an E, and then I was sliding about in my trainers on the ground so wasn't able to drive her properly. After an argumentative few barks, I decided it was too hot to argue and we left the ring for her tuggy - will be investing in a better pair of running shoes before next weekend!

So another weekend of 'almost' runs - am I a glutton for punishment you may ask?! But in the scheme of things, we are moving in the right direction, our teamwork is better and our attitude is moving from 'Can we?' to 'Can do'. This time last year we were working Grade 2 style courses - a big leap from the twists and turns of an average Grade 6-7 course. Whilst I believed we would hit the ground running, in retrospect there was always going to be a settling in period. As Hazel Tait pointed out to me last weekend, when you start a new job you don't expect to know everything there is to know about it, and the same could be said for each new grade you move into.

Here are my plus points from the weekend:

1. Great contacts, I mean fabulous, class winning contacts :-)
2. Tight turns with poles remaining where they're supposed to ;-)
3. A startline that is a secure as it makes me feel as I lead out - something which I wouldn't want to be walking into a G6-7 ring without
4. Ella - her attitude, her belief in me and the way she saves her best work for me, despite being Martin's teacher's pet :-D

Today I am grateful for Gill & Aussie's first clear round, which gave them 2nd place in the Small 1-3 Jumping. Glad the advice helped Gill! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment