Monday 19 July 2010

Goodbye little Zen

This is a particularly sad post for me, as my friend Wendy Rutter (neé Page) has recently lost her collie Zen to suspected cancer. Whilst she wasn't a young dog, it still feels too soon for her to have gone.

Above: Desmo, Meg & Zen

I met Zen for the first time, many, many moons ago at the veterinary centre where I was working. She was an adult dog at that point who had been through several homes before finding Wendy and her family. I didn't know Wendy well at that point, but anyone could see that this woman only dealt in forever homes. I seem to remember we used to see Zen for a skin condition that was particularly bad on her tummy. But she was always happy to roll over and show it off, such was her gentle and loving nature. It was astonishing that her previous owners hadn't realised just what a treasure she was, as she wouldn't have hurt a fly. A sensitive soul, I recall that the skin condition gradually sorted itself out. It was almost like her nerves were causing the problem, and when she realised she was safe and sound with the Rutters, it gradually eased up.

But it was when Zen had an accident in the boot of Wendy's Landrover that I began to get to know them both better. She had caught her foot in one of the rings in the Landrover as she jumped out and snapped the bones - a terrible thing to have to happen to a young dog. Not cheap for Wendy either! Surgery in the first instance and then a whole heap of aftercare to tend to the wound that wouldn't close over afterwards. With another dog Wendy might have had to consider the option of putting her to sleep, but not Zen. She was always pleased to see us, perhaps a little over-excited (she'd always wee at the sight of me!), and happy to roll over and extend her leg for treatment. A wonderful patient, who led me to making one of my best friends. I shall never forget her for that alone.

Once this was all finally sorted, Zen did do some agility, but you always got the impression that she was doing it to make Wendy happy. She loved her family and would have done anything for them, but agility just wasn't very motivating for her. Perhaps if we'd known then what we know now we could have increased her drive for it. As it was another rescue called Kaz entered Wendy's life with more than enough drive for the both of them, so Zen was happily retired!

Above: Kaz in action

The sad thing about sharing our lives with dogs is that they will never be around for as long as we would like them to. We're never going to willingly give them up to Rainbow bridge, because they make our lives whole. The are a important piece in the puzzle of our lives, and each is unique, each special in a way that none were before, or will be again. I'm sure Wendy has many reasons for why Zen was special for her. I'm sure Zen taught her many lessons that she wouldn't have learnt from any other dog. And I'm very sure that Wendy misses her badly at this point, so close to having lost her.
My memories of Zen? A sweet, loving, loyal and affectionate little girl. Shy and reserved, except with those people she knew well and loved. I was proud and privileged to be one of those people, and I shall never forget the honour of being one of her friends. Most of all, I am grateful for her for leading me to meet Wendy and her influence on my life, as my friend and agility 'mum'. Each of our dogs leads us on a special journey - what a joy to be part of hers. Have fun at the bridge special girl, look forward to seeing you there one day xx



Today I am grateful for my dogs, past and present. They influence my life in so many ways, and have led me to meet some amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment